EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer) is a widely used roofing material that is known for its durability and ease of installation. EPDM roofs uses extremely durable and high-performance compounds that stand up to the harshest winters and hottest summers. EPDM has many installation options such as fully adhered, mechanically attached, and ballasted. When you need complete EPDM commercial roofing installation, contact Qt Commercial today and ask for a free evaluation.
EPDM Application Options
When EPDM is fully adhered, this means the roofing material is bonded to the surface beneath it. The adhesive is applied to the membrane and surface below. It is then carefully rolled into position and set into place.
Features and Benefits.
- Ideal for Roofs With Unusual or Odd-Shaped Contours. EPDM is suitable for contoured roofs and roofs with unique shapes.
- High Wind Rating. The membrane is bonded to the entire roof system. Thus, EPDM is a good choice for tall buildings or high-wind areas.
- Reduced Maintenance Cost. Adhesive membranes require standard inspections and some maintenance every three to five years. With adequate care, you’ll have reduced repairs and maintenance.
- No Membrane Fluttering. Since the membrane is fully-adhered to the roof, there is no possibility of an uplift or fluttering.
- Lightweight. Fully adhered systems are lightweight, making them ideal for a wide range of building applications.
When EPDM is mechanically attached, this means the material is attached with mechanical fasteners. Then the membrane is laid and the fasteners are secured directly to the surface beneath.
Features and Benefits:
- Higher Seam Strength. Material properties and seam strength meet or exceed all industry standards.
- Faster Installation. We can install mechanically attached EPDM in half the time it takes to install adhesive roofing.
- Lightweight. EPDM membranes are lightweight, easy to transport, and require less effort to install than other types of roofing material.
- Year-Round Installation. Unlike adhesive membranes, which can only be installed when it’s warm outside, mechanically attached membranes can be installed throughout the year.
This application is used when the building structure and decking have been designed to hold the weight of a roof’s ballast. The membrane and insulation are loose-laid and fastened at the perimeter with smooth, water-worn rocks applied to the top.
Features and Benefits:
- Durable and Long Lasting. Once installed, ballasted EPDM roofing is expected to last 25-30 years.
- Fast Installation. Once we install the membrane, we add a layer of gravel to keep it in place. We can complete the process in one setting.
- Superior Weather Resistance. Since EPDM is protected by gravel, it is not vulnerable to severe weather conditions. It will hold up under high winds, heavy rain, hail storms, and extreme heat.
- Economical. Reduced labor, low-cost materials, enhanced durability, and long lasting features make EPDM roofing a smart investment.
Not sure what type of roofing option is best for your roof? Contact us today to schedule a personalized tour of our one-of-a-kind ShowRoof, or for more information about our EPDM products. Manufacturer and Qt Commercial installment warranties are available for new construction roofing and replacement roofing.